With the current situation in the Valley it is recommended that you follow the news and get the situation on the ground before venturing into Kashmir especially if you are planning to drive through. Some points/tips that you should keep in mind especially in the situation as it stands today
1. Kashmir Valley starts once you cross the Jawahar Tunnel.
2. For the ones driving through to Ladakh the inhabited part of the Valley usually ends at Sonamarg. So the problem is in the roughly 150 kms stretch from Qazigund to Sonamarg.
3. Srinagar is a suggested place to halt. Especially the touristy areas near the Dal Lake.
4. The main point to be understood is that stone pelting is aggravated whenever there is a call for Hartal. Stones are thrown in this period at all Vehicles. Local/ Outsider/ Military/ Police etc. So travelling when there is a hartal is to be avoided at all costs.
5. Tourists are generally not harmed or troubled during the unrest but you might get unlucky and end up at the wrong place at the wrong time.
6. If you have to travel during a Hartal day try getting into a convoy escorted by Police/ Army and travel early morning or late evening.
7. For people flying in there is usually no problem to get to their hotels as from the Airport to the Hotels is mostly devoid of any trouble. Mostly
8. One Golden Rule always to be remembered. If there is trouble stay put in your Hotel and avoid taking a Road journey.
9. As I said before Tourists are not troubled as many locals depend on their livelihood on the Tourists. Last year the Tourist inflow after July was bad and this year again it seems to be no better especially now with the situation turning volatile.
10. Factually if you look at it more tourists have been robbed/killed/ disappeared in other very popular destinations in India then in Kashmir. But it has got a bad name and the negative publicity that goes with it.
11. JK Tourism currently runs helpline numbers to help Tourists and the link for it is given below.
12: Jammu & Kashmir is famous for many Hindu religious sites and since the place has more number of Muslim population they create nuisance in the path of traveler. But if you visit the shrines situated in Jammu and Kashmir you would be proud of Facts about Hinduism.
NOTE : Please do not make Political comments here. This is meant as a Post reflecting the Ground reality to the best of my knowledge. Feel free to share experiences that you or your known people have had in Kashmir in the recent wave of unrest.